Post-prison community reentry
Aftercare Support is a Twin Cities-based group that offers one-on-one support for former prisoners who are transitioning back into society, and their loved ones. The group is operated by volunteer mentors who host weekly support group meetings for men and women, as well as a monthly combined worship service.
Aftercare Support’s main purpose is to help participants fill these critical needs: 1. Emotional and spiritual support. 2. Employment.
Who Can Participate
- Men and women recently released from prison
- Men and women who are in recovery
- Family members of those recently released from prison
- Loved ones of those incarcerated
- Men released or currently attending local Salvation Army residential programs
- North Minneapolis Salvation Army Worship and Service Center, 2024 Lyndale Ave. N., Minneapolis, MN 55411.
- East St. Paul Salvation Army Worship and Service Center, 1019 Payne Ave, St. Paul, MN 55130
Thursday Night Schedule
On the first Thursday of the month, the meal is at 6 p.m. Then, there is a combined worship service at 6:45 p.m., before the men’s and women’s support groups break off to meet separately from 7:30 – 8:30 p.m.
All other weeks, the meal is at 6:15 p.m. Support groups meet immediately following the meal from 7 – 8 p.m.
Combined Worship Service
Men’s Support Group
Women’s Support Group
Aftercare Support helps men and women secure employment by providing one-on-one counseling from volunteer professionals who provide expert advice in the areas of résumé writing, job searching, interview coaching, mental preparation, using today’s technology, and more.
Our current volunteer needs:
- Adult Mentors – Are you interested in supporting those recently released from prison? Our mentors help guide men and women who reside in Salvation Army program facilities or who participate in other community reentry programs. The foundation for the guidance provided by the mentor will be based on the mission of The Salvation Army. Mentors must be available a minimum of four hours a month (either by phone or in person) for one year.
To sign up as a volunteer, call Sophie at 651-746-3426.