Free donuts across Minn., N.D. on Friday June 1
Prepare to loosen your belts. National Donut Day is coming Friday, June 1.
The Salvation Army will celebrate the 80th annual event by doling out free donuts at select locations across Minnesota and North Dakota. Additional bakeries unaffiliated with The Salvation Army will join the fun by offering free baked treats of their own. (See all locations at bottom.)
The Salvation Army started National Donut Day in 1938 to raise money during the Great Depression and to commemorate the work of Salvation Army “Donut Girls” (pictured), who served donuts to soldiers during World War I.
The Donut Girls served up to 9,000 donuts per day to American troops battling on the frontlines. The tasty treats boosted morale and won the hearts of many soldiers. (Learn more about Donut Girls.)
Today the donut serves as a symbol of the comfort The Salvation Army provides to people in need through its many social services programs.
Join The Salvation Army in celebrating National Donut Day by having fun and eating free donuts at any of the following locations on Friday, June 1:
Free donuts in the Twin Cities
- Paying customers waiting in line at Cardigan Donuts in downtown Minneapolis will receive a free donut made with the Donut Girls’ original recipe from 1917, with costumed Donut Girls on hand to offer smiles and answer questions. The donut shop will also sell a special Salvation Army-themed donut and donate all proceeds to The Salvation Army Harbor Light Center in Minneapolis.
Donut events in Greater Minnesota
- Fairmont: Eat free donuts baked and donated by Hy-Vee and shop a special Donut Day sale at the Salvation Army Thrift Store, 314 Downtown Plaza. Donuts offered from 10 a.m. until gone.
- Hibbing: Enjoy free donuts and a Donut Day history lesson from 1–3 p.m. at the Hibbing Salvation Army, 107 W. Howard St.
- Rochester: Munch on free donuts from the Rochester Salvation Army, sip coffee, and thank a veteran from 7–11 a.m. at VFW Post 1215, located at 2775 43rd St. NW. Donuts will be the original 1917 recipe served to soldiers.
- Willmar: Join the Willmar Salvation Army for coffee and donuts with local firefighters from 7 a.m.–noon at the Willmar Fire Department parking lot, 515 2nd St. SW. A “Mini-Donut Truck” will stop by from 8–11 a.m. to offer additional donuts. Coffee provided by Dunn Brothers and Starbucks.
Donut events in North Dakota
- Fargo: Enjoy free coffee and donuts at the Fargo Theatre from 10 a.m. – 1 p.m. while listening to a musical performance by the FM Golden Notes. There will also be a variety show featuring Craig Roath, Aimee Klein’s Skits and Tomfoolery, Vic Pellerano and Nik Gruber of Gruber Guitars.
What do a small round piece of fried dough and one of America’s oldest charities have in common? You may be surprised to learn that there is actually a rich history between the tasty donut treats and The Salvation Army – so much so, we actually started National Donut Day in 1938...