Does your child want to learn to play basketball in a fun environment? The Salvation Army Rookie Basketball Association is a youth basketball league for boys and girls in Duluth, Minn., that teaches team building and equal participation while developing on-court skills.
The league offers seasonal sessions, plus 3-on-3 player opportunities and clinics. For information on current league events view our most recent newsletter: Fall 2018.
Registration is now CLOSED for the 2018/2019 Winter Season of our Rookie Basketball program. Registration for Winter 2019/2020 will open in August.
Winter League: Grades K-4
There is a $90 registration fee per child. Families registering more than one child will receive a $10 discount for each additional child after one paid full-cost registration. Jerseys are $12 per child. There is a $20 late fee per child for registrations submitted after the deadline.
Access the game schedule here: FULL game schedule. Games are played at The Salvation Army, 215 S 27 Ave W and The Encounter, 201 E 1st St.
Spring League: Grades 3-6
Summer Clinics: Grades K-6
Fall 3-on-3 Tournament: Grades K-12
Games will begin at 8:30 a.m. Volunteers are needed to set up, keep score and fill many other roles. For more information, to participate in planning, or to volunteer email email@example.com or call 218-576-6174. Registration will open in August.
Discounts & Scholarships
Practice and Games
- The Salvation Army, 215 S. 27th Ave. W.
- Congdon Elementary, 3116 E. Superior St.
- Holy Rosary School, 2802 E. 4th St.
- Homecroft Elementary, 4784 Howard Gnesen Road
- Lakewood Elementary, 5207 N Tischer Road
- Lowell Elementary, 200 Rice Lake Rd.
- Laura MacArthur Elementary, 720 N. Central Ave.
- Lester Park Elementary, 5300 Glenwood St.
- Myers Wilkins Elementary, 1027 N. 8th Ave. E.
- Piedmont Elementary, 2827 Chambersburg Ave.
- Stowe Elementary, 715 101st Ave. W.
All games are on Saturdays at either The Salvation Army, 215 S. 27th Ave. W., or The Encounter, 201 E. 1st St.
If Duluth Public Schools are closed due to a holiday or inclement weather, practices or games will be canceled.
Coaches send players home with drills and skill work to practice at home. View player skill guide.
Coaches and Volunteers Needed
Each volunteer will need to complete the following:
- Online volunteer application, including references
- Online background check, linked in the volunteer application
- Attend Salvation Army Safe From Harm training, good for four years
- Online concussion training, state mandated and one time (view training)
- Attend coaches meeting and training, date to be determined
Apply now to coach for the 2018-2019 winter season.
2018-2019 Dale Stocke Co-Coach of the Year
Julie Flotten, left, and Mia Thibodeau, right, with their team.
2017-18 Dale Stocke Coach of the Year
Jill Doberstein, recipient, with members of her team.
2016-17 Dale Stocke Coach of the Year
Mayor Emily Larson, Steve Williams recipient, St. Scholastica Head Coach David Staniger
Parent and Player Resources
Photos and video
Videos: Testimonials & Season Highlights
These are the highlights for the past winter seasons. Watch to learn what our league is about and what a typical season is like.
From the Mayor
Duluth Mayor Emily Larson congratulates players on a season well done and talks about her own children’s experience in the league.
End of Season Message: Minnesota Viking C.J. Ham
End of Season Message: Anders & Bjorn Broman
Sponsors and Support
We also have a number of local businesses who support the program:
“Pro Team” Sponsors ($1,000+)
“Varsity Team” Sponsors ($300-$999)
- The Ski Hut
- New York Life
- Country Inn and Suites Duluth North
- Vintage Acres (Duluth)
- Zenith Terrace
- Kia of Duluth
- Gerlach, Beaumier, and Trogdon Attorneys at Law
- City Auto Glass
- Tender Loving Care Duluth
- Northern Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeons, PA
- Heartwood Construction, Inc.
- In Motion Therapy
- Americinn Hotel and Suites South
For more information about the Rookie Basketball Association, please contact Kris Mallett at 218-576-6174.