Celebrate National Donut Day, Events & free donuts
Get ready for one of the sweetest days of the year: National Donut Day on Friday, June 7.
The Salvation Army will celebrate this 81st-annual event by giving away free donuts at select locations across Minnesota (see all locations at the bottom) and by hosting our first-ever Donutland pop-up exhibit featuring four art installations at Rosedale Center in the Twin Cities.
The Salvation Army created National Donut Day in Chicago in 1938 to help those in need and to honor Salvation Army “Donut Girls” (pictured) who served fresh, hot donuts to soldiers on the front lines during WWI. The Donut Girls served a whopping 9,000 donuts per day to American troops. This tasty treat boosted morale and won the hearts of many soldiers. (Learn more about Donut Girls.)
Join The Salvation Army in celebrating National Donut Day by having fun and eating a free donut at any of the following locations on Friday, June 7.
Free donuts in the Twin Cities
- YoYo Donuts at 5757 Sanibel Drive in Hopkins is offering a free donut (any donut with a hole), while supplies last. Doors open at 6 a.m.
- Glam Doll Donuts is offering a free donut to the first 100 customers beginning at 7 a.m. at both of its Minneapolis locations: 519 Central Ave NE and their flagship storefront on Eat Street, 2605 Nicollet Ave.
- St. Paul’s Mojo Monkey Donuts will be giving away donuts to their first 300 customers. You can find their shop at 1169 7th St. W. Doors open at 6 a.m.
- New to the donut scene in Minnesota is Duck Donuts, located at 7455 Currell Blvd., Suite 107 in Woodbury. They’re giving out one of their free classic donuts per guest. Their classic flavors include bare, cinnamon sugar, and powdered donuts. No purchase is necessary to receive a free donut. Doors open at 6:30 a.m.
Celebrate your love of donuts in the Twin Cities
- To celebrate The Salvation Army’s historical connection to donuts, we’ve partnered with Girl Friday Creative and Rosedale Center to create Donutland. This weekend-long pop-up exhibit will feature four large art installations highlighting – you guessed it – donuts! Stop by the East Atrium to snag a photo or two and learn how this sweet treat had humble origins from simple dough kneaded by our “donut lassies.”
Donut events in Greater Minnesota
- Hibbing: Enjoy free donuts while supplies last and a Donut Day history lesson from 1–5 p.m. at the Hibbing Salvation Army, 107 W. Howard St.
- Rochester: The Rochester Salvation Army will celebrate National Donut Day from 7–11 a.m. at Soldier’s Field Veterans Memorial and at the VFW. Receive a free, original-recipe WWI donuts at both locations.
- Virginia: The Virginia Salvation Army, 507 12th Ave. W., will be giving away free donuts while supplies last. Come in for a tasty treat and fellowship from 8 a.m.–4 p.m.
- Willmar: Join the Willmar Salvation Army for a free donut from local firefighters from 8–11 a.m. at the Kandi Mall parking lot, 1605 1st St. S.
The Salvation Army Northern Division pledges to do the most good with your gifts of time and money, with 81 cents of every dollar going directly to services. Join us by volunteering or making a donation to support your local community. Stay current on how The Salvation Army is changing lives in Minnesota and North Dakota by signing up for our e-Newsletters.