Give a coat, get a coat: What you need to know
It’s not too late to donate a coat to help a child stay warm this winter, or find help for your family. Across Minnesota and North Dakota, Salvation Army locations will be collecting new and gently used winter coats for children of all ages and giving them away as part of our Coats for Kids program.
Information about our coat collections and distributions in the Twin Cities, Greater Minnesota, and North Dakota can be found below.
Please note that if you would like to receive a coat, you will need to bring a proof of address (bill statement or rent receipt from the last 30 days), picture ID, Verification of child/children living in the household (SS card, medical card, tax form), and a form of income (pay stub, government assistance print out).
Select Salvation Army Worship and Service Centers will host coat distributions intermittently throughout October. Families with kids ages 17 and under can shop for a coat on a first-come, first-served basis. Here are the details about getting help in the Twin Cities, including how to register and which location you should go to.
- The Salvation Army at 2024 Lyndale Ave. N. in Minneapolis will distribute coats on Oct. 8 from 9 a.m.-6 p.m. In order to receive a coat, the head of household (parent/guardian) must apply in person on Oct. 8 at our building.
- The Maplewood Salvation Army will host a coat distribution on Oct. 11 from 9 a.m.–6 p.m. Please call ahead for more information.
- The Brooklyn Park Salvation Army will host a coat distribution for residents of Anoka County or one of the surrounding cities on Oct. 18 from 9 a.m.–6 p.m. Preregistration closes on Oct. 16. Walk-ins will be welcome to receive a coat on the distribution day starting at 3 p.m. Due to limited supply, coats will be given on a first-come, first-serve basis.
- The Eastside Salvation Army in St. Paul will host a coat distribution on Oct. 17 from 9 a.m.–5 p.m.
- The Central Ave. Salvation Army in Minneapolis will host a coat distribution on Oct. 25 from 10 a.m.–6 p.m. In order to receive a coat, the head of household (parent/guardian) must apply in person on Oct. 25 at our building.
Free winter coats and gear are already being distributed in select cities across the state. In addition:
- At Salvation Army locations in Brainerd and Virginia, coats can be donated anytime and will be distributed year round as they are needed.
- At the Willmar Salvation Army, coats will be distributed on Oct. 10 and 11 at the worship and service center at 512 SW Fourth St.
- At the Williston Salvation Army, coats will be made available to anyone in need throughout the season, while supplies last.
- At the Bismarck Salvation Army, coats will be given out Oct. 18-19 during the hours of 9 a.m.–12 p.m. and 1–4 p.m. Adults and kids of all ages will be able to receive a coat.
- The Grand Forks Salvation Army will host a single-day coat distribution on Oct. 22 from 9:30 a.m.–2 p.m. In order to receive a coat, the head of household (parent/gaurdian) must apply in person on Oct. 22 at our building.
- The Fargo Salvation Army will host a multi-day distribution on the following dates: Oct. 13, 15, 16, and 17.