12th Annual MOST Amazing Race kicks off Oct. 7
Media Contact: Julie Borgen, 612-201-6163, Twin Cities Media Relations Director for The Salvation Army’s Northern Division
Roseville, Minn.- It’s the event that puts the fun in fundraising– The Salvation Army’s MOST Amazing Race, is back for the 12th year in a row.
The race kicks off at 11:30 a.m. on Saturday, Oct. 7 at the Como Picnic Pavilion at 1199 Midway Parkway in St. Paul.
Inspired by the TV show, the race features 57 teams of two, tackling mental and physical challenges throughout the city of St. Paul. This year’s challenges are top secret until race day, but in previous years racers have had to jump from a 25 meter diving platform, figure out how to assemble a natural gas pipeline and even down multiple shots of hot sauce in a single sitting.
This year a theme will run through all the challenges–being a kid again. It’s a fun and exciting day, and it’s all for a great cause.
Since 2006, The MOST Amazing Race has raised nearly $750,000 for The Salvation Army’s food and housing programs in the Twin Cities.
Thanks in part to that money, The Salvation Army served 187,000 people in the metro area last year alone, providing food for 1,300 meals each day and housing to nearly 900 people every night.
With eight food shelves in the Twin Cities, The Salvation Army provided groceries to 102,000 people last year.
Competing for fun and prizes:
- The race is divided into two heats. 24 teams in the Gold division are competing for a $5,000 prize, courtesy of Deluxe. The top two teams out of the 33 competing in the Silver division are vying for two queen sized, Tempur-Pedic mattress set (valued at $3,300 each), courtesy of Mattress Firm.
- Other top finishers also qualify for a range of fun prizes, including concert tickets and Vikings tickets.
- Gold division starts at 11:30 a.m., Silver division starts at 1:00 p.m.
- Start location: Como Picnic Pavillion, 1199 Midway Parkway, St. Paul
- Race concludes back at the starting line
- Spectators welcome and encouraged!
About The Twin Cities Salvation Army
Since 1886 the Twin Cities Salvation Army has been a safety net for thousands of people, providing food, housing, financial assistance and more, without discrimination. Each year we serve 187,000 people in the metro area, providing 1,300 hot meals daily and sheltering nearly 900 every night. The Salvation Army relies on 20,500 volunteers who give 160,000 hours of service annually. Please join The Salvation Army by volunteering or making a donation to support your local community.