Coats for Kids
The Salvation Army Coats for Kids program has been keeping Twin Cities kids warm for 29 years. The 2014 coat drive ended on Sunday, Oct. 19, but you can still help a child in need when you give online to buy new coats. For a limited time (Nov. 2-15), you can also drop off coats at any Twin Cities Rainbow location.
Donated coats and other winter accessories are now being distributed at our Salvation Army centers.
Find a Coat Drop-off Site
- Cub Foods (find a location)
- Kowalski’s Markets (find a location)
- Salvation Army Stores (find a location) (get a discount)
- Alerus Banks (find a location)
- Alerus Mortgage (Minnetonka, Arden Hills, Edina)
- Clean’n’Press Dry Cleaning (all locations except Hastings)
- Trollhaugen (get directions) (get a discount lift ticket)
- Ideal Credit Union (find a location)
- Creation Chiropractic – Eden Prairie (get directions)
- Coon Rapids Chrysler (get directions)
- Title Boxing Club – Arden Hills (get directions) (get a free pass)
- Medifast (find a location)
- KSTP-TV – St. Paul (3415 University Ave.)
- AmeriPride Cleaners – Minnetonka location only (10801 Wayzata Blvd.)
- Sublime Haircare – West St. Paul (1643 S. Robert St., Suite 70) (entered to win a prize)
- Salvation Army Worship & Service Centers (find a location)
Don’t have a coat to donate? You can also give online to help buy new coats. A $16 donation covers the cost of a warm winter coat for a kid in need. And, when you give to Coats for Kids before Oct. 19, your monetary donation will be doubled by Alerus Mortgage.
Need a Coat?
There is no pre-registration for the event, but you will need to come to the distribution site which serves your local area, based on your address. Our community partner United Way can help you determine which of the eleven coat distribution sites you should attend when you call 211 or 651-291-0211.
Families who fulfill the following eligibility requirements are helped on a first-come, first-serve basis:
- Dependent children must be ages 0-17
- Bring a photo ID
- Bring a current piece of mail confirming your ZIP code
- Bring one form of ID for each child – copies accepted (medical card, social security card, birth certificate, school ID)
Parents shop for one coat and one winter accessory per child. Children should not accompany parents to the distribution.
Call the Coats for Kids Hotline at 651-746-3412 for more information.
We have a variety of ways for volunteers to help – from answering phones at a phonebank to sorting donations or helping parents find coats for their kids. Visit our Twin Cities volunteering page to view Coats for Kids opportunities under upcoming events.
Host a Coat Drive
We have electronic copies of posters you can use to advertise your collection, and we are happy to arrange pick up for drives that bring in more than 100 coats. For smaller collections, we ask that donations be dropped off at our divisional headquarters, 2445 Prior Ave. N. in Roseville.
Please contact Coats for Kids manager Jessica Hering at 651-746-3591 for details on getting started with a drive.
About Coats for Kids
Thank you to our 2014 partners: Alerus Mortgage, AmeriPride, Clean’n'Press, Cub Foods, 5 Eyewitness News, Kowalski’s Markets, and KS95.