Historic Booth Hospital
The Booth Brown House, which now serves as a safe place for youth to turn, began as a safe-haven for unwed mothers. Started in the early 1900s as The Salvation Army Women’s Home and Hospital, the facility moved to its current location – 1471 Como Ave. W. in St. Paul – and became The Salvation Army Booth Memorial Hospital in 1913. Watch an award-winning documentary about the hospital from 1960.
About the Women Served
In addition to a full maternity hospital, the facility included a school devoted to working with pregnant teens. The new mothers stayed for at least three months after giving birth and were taught domestic skills like sewing, cooking and cleaning which prepared them to work as domestic help upon their release.