Northern Division: Serving every county in Minnesota and North Dakota

Bismarck News

National Christmas Tree ornaments created in Minnesota

Added on November 4, 2014

By now you’ve likely heard that the Capitol Christmas Tree was recently cut from the Chippewa National Forest in Minnesota and is headed to Washington D.C. for all to see…

Tax advantages of an appreciated stock donation

Added on September 25, 2014

The stock market has bounced back since the Great Recession, with some stocks appreciating more than 100, 200 or even 1,000 fold. These gains can provide big tax advantages for stockholders interested in…

Backpack and school supply distributions bring smiles

Added on September 4, 2014

As parents take “first day of school” snapshots of their kids, The Salvation Army Northern Division is appreciative for all the donors who helped to provide thousands of backpacks this year. In the St. Cloud area alone, more than 500 backpacks filled with school supplies were distributed and helped hundreds of families.

Work is a blessing not reserved for the rich

Added on August 29, 2014

Labor Day is an appropriate time to recall the historic keystones of Salvation Army ministry, which were founded on the idea that work is accompanied by an identifiable spiritual element…

School supplies a godsend to mother with cancer

Added on August 25, 2014

Normally, Brittany Tornow wouldn’t have had the strength to drive to The Salvation Army in Virginia, Minnesota. “You caught me on a good day today – usually I’m in bed,” the Eveleth resident explained, while waiting in line to pick up new school supplies for her two kids, ages 6 and 7…

47 lb. harvest provides nutrition for many

Added on August 14, 2014

In a summer when our food shelves have experienced great need, it seems our prayers have been answered by our caring community members…

Five reasons you should consider volunteering

Added on July 21, 2014

How do you spend your time? In one year, we each have 8,760 hours to utilize. With work, classes, and family time, schedules can easily fill up, but devoting a little time to volunteering yields a whole lot of benefits, especially for those who want to different explore career options…

Back-to-school collection to benefit local kids

Added on July 17, 2014

Local Shopko stores are collecting school supplies as part of the “Tools for School” program for families served by The Salvation Army…

In prison ministry, victories outweigh defeats

Added on June 24, 2014

The Salvation Army’s prison ministry serves inmates at 14 state and federal prisons in Minnesota and North Dakota. It’s challenging work, but very rewarding…

Summer volunteerism combats family boredom

Added on June 17, 2014

“I’m bored” is just about the last phrase parents want to hear from their children during summer. Luckily, we have a few solutions that are fun for the whole family. Join us as we continue to do the most good throughout the summer to make our community a better place to live…

Even in retirement, volunteer keeps saying ‘yes’

Added on June 10, 2014

Nearly every town has one, some maybe two or three, that guy who for the life of him can’t say “no.”…

Blog: Letters to soldiers keep spirits high

Added on June 6, 2014

I started working for The Salvation Army in 2010, and it wasn’t long before I read a note from a Salvation Army supporter that went something like this…

Page 1 of 41234