Back-to-school supply drives, giveaways in MN, ND
It’s hard to believe, but back-to-school time has already arrived. Whether you need help, or are in a position to donate, The Salvation Army is your partner for helping kids start the school year right.
School supplies are an expense that many families in Minnesota and North Dakota are unable to pay. That includes a single mother named Ashley (pictured) in St. Cloud, Minn. She can’t afford the new backpacks, markers, pencils, and other supplies that her two daughters will need for kindergarten and second grade.
During any other year, Ashley’s mom would be able to chip in and help. “But, this year my mom is too strapped – she just had surgery,” said Ashley, whose kids are ages 7, 5 and 3.
Thankfully, The Salvation Army and its supporters have come through for Ashley. Her two daughters will enter elementary school with all of the supplies they need to be successful.
Free backpacks, school supplies available
If you need backpacks and school supplies for your children, find your community below to see what help may be available.
Parents will need a photo ID, a piece of mail that verifies your address, and a form of identification for each child (medical card, school ID, social security card).
The following locations have scheduled back to school events:
- Brooklyn Park: Back to School Carnival, Saturday, Aug. 19 from 11 a.m. – 2 p.m., 10011 Noble Parkway. Free backpacks, school supplies (while supplies last), games and food available.
- Eastside St. Paul: Friday, Sept. 8, 5 p.m.- 10 p.m., Back to School Bash. Karaoke/open mic night, taco and nacho bar, games, backpacks and back to school supplies available, while supplies last.
- Maplewood: Monday, Aug. 1, 5:30- 8:30 p.m., 2080 Woodlyn Ave. National Night Out celebration will include a backpack and school supplies giveaway, along with visits by police and firefighters. Enjoy free games, hotdogs, chips, cookies and juice.
- Albert Lea: Thursday, Aug. 17 (registration and distribution) 9 p.m. – 5 p.m., 302 Court St.
- Brainerd: Thursday, Aug. 17 (registration) and Friday, Aug. 18 (distribution) 1 p.m. – 4 p.m., 208 S. Fifth St.
- Fairmont: Monday, Aug. 22 to Friday, Sept. 2 (registration), 114 E. Blue Earth Ave.
- Hibbing: Thursday, Aug. 3, 1 p.m. – 3 pm. to Friday, Aug. 4, 1 – 3 p.m. and 5:30 p.m. – 6:30 p.m. (registration) and Friday, Aug. 29, 9 a.m. – 12 p.m. (distribution), 107 W. Howard St.
- Mankato: Monday, July 24 to Friday, Aug. 11 – or 700 students (registration) and Wednesday, Aug. 23, 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. (distribution), 700 S. Riverfront Drive.
- Virginia: Tuesday, Aug. 29 and Thursday, Aug. 31 10 a.m. – Noon and 1 p.m. – 3 p.m. (registration and distribution), 507 12th Ave. W.
If you have questions or don’t see your community listed above, enter your ZIP Code to find contact information for your local Salvation Army.
Donate school supplies
Help us equip kids with backpacks, pencils, erasers, pencil pouches, pens, colored pencils, highlighters, rulers, scissors, glue sticks, folders, notebooks, crayons, and markers.
Shopko stores will also collect school supplies for The Salvation Army through Friday, Aug. 12. Find a Shopko store near you.